Cast friends. (new pics) Beeswax crayons and recycled crayons. www.sarahmachicado.com
Pop-up calender and poster for the BAM Next Wave Festival events of 2011. created while @ MICA . font family used Helvetica Neue.
TODAY IS THE DAY
Today finally came. It is my last day of school. I am going to spend it paying a speeding ticket, laser cutting, photographing my work and eating peruvian chicken and possibly getting a tattoo if my moneys allows it. FUCK RIGHT. MICA its been good, good times, good highs and good clean fun. See you space cowboy.
Package and identity re-design for four Envirokidz Organic Cereal brands. The objective was to target environmentally conscience consumers as well as sustaining a kid-friendly design. The Package is envisioned to be eco-friendly with soy inks printed on paperboard and re-purposed with a “Build Your Own” modular paper toy activity featured on the back of the package.
Illustration Senior Thesis Proposal
Sarah Machicado / Senior Thesis 1 & 2 Proposal
I want to focus senior seminar 1 in designing educational toys. These days, a lot of educational toys are too high tech which makes them expensive and little is proven that they teach anything to children. What I want to accomplish is designing toys that are simple, but inspire children to read and be creative. Toys that could be played with through imagination and where children could learn new stuff through imagery and interaction. I want my educational toys to really focus on play as a source to achieve their purpose.
Categories of possible educational toy directions.
- Flash Cards: I want to create flash cards that reviews the ABC’s, 123’s, Possibly teach English, Spanish or French words. Simple Math problems 1+2=3 2X2=4
- Textured Book: Maybe a Toddler Book that teaches different animals through textures
- 3D Puzzle: perhaps several cubes in which each side makes 6 different images that could tell 6 different stories
- Board Game: for children to teach them how to recycle
- Activity Book: that demonstrates children how to make their own toys
- Coloring Book: that encourages children to draw and color about their lives
I want to focus my work on designer toy & break that movement away from vinyl toys because I believe they are too expensive to produce and its harmful for the environment. I want to explore different techniques in Toy making using different materials. I want to research the cost of mass producing vinyl toys VS. wooden toys. I am interested in fiber arts and I have experience in plush toy making. I want to explore other fiber arts solutions.
Categories of Possible materials and direction for Designer Toys.
- Screen Printed Toys: Would be easy to mass produce
- Knitted Toys: Time consuming but great for 3D design
- Plush Toys: Endless techniques
- Paper Toys: Angular and flat sides will play heavily in designs
- Ceramic Toys: Chia Pet or toys that incorporate plants in the overall design
- Wooden Toys: an alternative for vinyl toys
Colors The Mind: an educational toy company
After I graduate I want to start a toy company. And the name of this company is Colors the Mind. This was a dream of mine since freshman and sophomore year. As part of my Thesis I want to progress the branding for my dream toy company. I desire to mass produce one or few toys to sell at a local store (atomic books, toy store at fells point, tates comics in Ft lauderdale) One goal I have is to create a functional website where I will sell my products online.
As part of branding and marketing. I want to create unique toy packages for almost all my toy projects that I create during the semesters. I am against clam shell toy packaging they are dangerous and a waste of materials. I would like all my toy packaging to use recyclable material or be re-useable.
As part of my thesis I want to do some humanitarian work and re design toy packages for espacio cultural creativo. Espacio Is a non profit organization from La Paz Bolivia that focuses on teaching the public how to be more creative and why creativity is important. They want to re conceptualize their current toys and products in hopes to gain more profits to fund their community projects. They currently sell their own watercolor paints, colored noodles, colored toothpicks and wooden sticks. The way they currently still package is too expensive; they hire a carpenter to cut and assemble all their packaging. Inspired by the origami package by Designer Magdalena Czarnecki, I want to make their package functional as a toy.
Senior Thesis Goals:
- Test concepts at Port Discovery
- Four educational toy prototypes with their packages
- Four designer toys Prototypes with their packages
- Mass Produce Toy(s)
- Marketing Materials: Business cards, letter head, Toy tags
- Launch Colors The Mind Website
- Sell Toys at local stores: (perhaps: Atomic Books, Toy store at Fells point, Tates Comics)
- Re-design Toy Package for Espacio Cultural Creativo